The State of Jharkhand is blessed with huge natural resources such as
minerals, forests, water resources, energy sources, fertile land, etc.
which can place the State amongst one of the top most prosperous and
developed states of the country.
Besides, the State is also gifted with relatively moderate climate, good
rainfall, good rail and road communication, technical educational
facilities, research laboratories, management institutes, etc.
With a view to inculcate rapid growth in industrial sector, such
industries which aim to utilise natural resources available in Jharkhand
and which can generate employment for local inhabitants are being
classified as thrust area industries.
It is also intended to give boost to those industries, which propose to
add value to the minerals, forest produce and agro based products
available in the State. Important criteria for determining suitability
of thrust industries for accelerated development in the states are:
a) availability of raw material
c) manpower resources
d) linkage with larger units
e) sustainability aspects
The following industries have been identified as thrust areas for
focussed industrial development in the State :
1. Mining and Mineral Based Industries
The potential for growth in mining and mineral based industries is
immense. This sector has huge potential for attracting large investments
to create employment and raise resources. It would be the endeavor of
the State Government to expedite the granting of mining leases and
simplify the procedures with respect to the grant of mining leases. In
addition, the State Government would also provide certain relief to make
mining activities easier.
Concerted efforts shall be made to expedite / undertake survey /
exploration of mining resources. Modern methods of exploration like
remote sensing, arrow magnetic survey and other methods would be used to
set up the resource inventory of various minerals in the State. The
State Government would encourage participation of reputed private
parties, multinationals and Central and State agencies in this exercise.
The State Government would encourage joint venture projects with State
Mineral Development Corporation (SMDC) especially in the field of
mining. Private sector would be encouraged to take up mining activities
in the State. Mining lease applications alongwith project report and all
relevant documents would preferably be disposed off within a period of
60 days of the filing of such application.
Suitable steps would be taken to adopt state of art technology in mining
activities. For this, the Government would promote private sector
participation and would offer a package of reasonable concessions on
case to case basis. To ensure raw material linkage to mining based and
other industries, priority in granting mining leases to such industries
and other such facilities shall be extended.
2. Agro based industries
* Cattle feed
* Jute, hemp, sisal and other fabrics
* Tea cultivation, processing and packaging
3. Industries based on medicinal and aromatic plants
4. Sericulture / Tassar
5. Forest based industry, like Shellac, Bamboo, etc.
6. Engineering, auto component, iron & steel and steel based down
7. Chemical based industries
8. Power generating and allied industries
9. Electronic and computers and IT based industries
10. Industries based on non-conventional energy
11. Live stock based industries, such as dairy, poultry, piggery,
aquaculture, meat processing, etc.
12. Industries based on recycling of wastes, eco friendly raw materials
13. Super specialty Health services
14. Telecommunications and related products
15. Food processing industry ;
* Tissue culture products
* Seeds and planting materials
* Foods and Vegetable processing
* Bio-technological processes and products
* Post Harvest technologies
17. Cold Storages
18. Plastic and plastic based industries.
19. Pharmaceutical / drugs based industries.
20. Leather based industries.
21. Technical education
23. Sports goods
25. Metallurgical Industries including power intensive units like
induction furnaces, arc furnaces, ferro alloys, oxygen plants, graphite
& gas plants and calcium carbide plants.
26. Textile, hosiery, knitwear
27. Handicrafts / Khadi / Handloom based industries
28. Natural Gas Based Industries
29. Housing Fixtures and related industries